Coldwood is made up of a small group of talented, dedicated individuals and good friends. We get to make great games and hang out with great people, we work with some of the best studios and publishers in the business, and we’re really proud of the team we’ve built. We don’t want to grow too big or too fast, but there’s always room for more talented people, regardless of our currently listed job openings. If you’ve got skills you want to share with us, and want to be a part of Coldwood, let us know!
…for the position(s) below:
Senior Game Designer
Based on our proven success in narrative puzzle-platform games, Coldwood is embarking on an exciting new and innovative title building on our core DNA as a studio. We are looking for a creative and skilled senior game designer to take ownership of the design process, honing the vision and goals of this project down to a consistent, well-communicated, well-maintained series of specifications and design documents to drive the team towards a well-executed game of the highest possible quality.
- This is a full-time position.
- The Senior Game designer will report directly to Coldwood’s Creative Director
- Applicants must be able to work full-time, on-site at our offices in Umea, or commute to spend meaningful periods with the studio here.
- Communicate and clarify the vision and specifics of the design for Coldwood’s new title to the development team throughout the production process by any means necessary.
- Work closely with Coldwood’s leadership to establish and document the vision for Coldwood’s new title.
- Responsibility and ownership for the rigorous creation and maintenance of the Game Design Document including specs, written tasks, and wireframes before and during production.
- Continually evolve/improve the product while steadfastly maintaining the vision and goals for the title through regular, iterative review/feedback cycles with key stakeholders.
- Excellent experience writing specs and tasks for developers.
- Proficient, creative writer and storyteller with commercial experience in narrative-based game design.
- Exceptional user experience design instincts and experience.
- Excellent ability to communicate design visually through wireframes, mockups, presentations, etc.
- Excellent ability to verbally communicate design, concepts, ideas, etc. to individuals and groups of people.
- Ability to give design feedback with candour and receive the same in an open-minded manner
- Actively pursue up-to-the-minute knowledge of industry-wide trends and innovations in game design especially in terms of how they affect our game
- Unflinching willingness to put quality ahead of all else during the design and development process.
- Sense of humor, playfulness, and pursuit of wonder… we are making games
- Proficiency writing via a standard document-editing tool: Word, Google Docs, Pages, etc.
- Proficiency with visual communication tools; e.g., Photoshop, Visio, Powerpoint, pages, etc.
- Experience and comfort with editing game data; e.g., spreadsheets, xml, json, etc.
- Experience and comfort working within task/bug-editing environment; e.g., JIRA, Bugzilla, etc.
- Experience and comfort with source control environments; e.g., git, svn, cvs, etc.
- Relevant design experience working on at least 3-5 shipped commercial titles in a primarily puzzle/platform/adventure/narrative field
- Relevant, professional creative writing experience on multiple commercial products
- Leadership experience on at least one commercial game managing creative people including designers, writers, and artists.
In order to be considered, please provide us with the following:
- An up-to-date resume which includes a list of shipped games
- One game design sample. This document will demonstrate your ability to clearly communicate a game design or game features
- One creative writing sample
- Three recent professional references (including 1 manager/supervisor) who are able to speak towards your expertise in any/all of the above
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “GD2016″.